Our 15 yr old son is a natural-born musician. It's awesome fun! He's been playing drums since he was 10 and saved up to buy his own full set at age 13. He takes private lessons and plays in band at school. He's taught himself guitar, bass guitar, and ukelele. Piano lessons aren't cool anymore, but he did play for a few years! : )
The headboard was my favorite part, so I have to share that first!
He's a big fan of the Beatles and loves red and black, so I set to work thinking of ideas. I'd seen diy headboards that looked like a plain LP record, but I wanted to customize ours. It had to be Beatles theme.
It all started with cutting a piece of plywood to the shape of a very large LP record (half of it, actually). The only thing I'd do differently next time is to make the bottom of it continue another foot lower. If you look closely at the left side of the above photo, you can see where the piece of wood ends and it really bugs me! : )
I like Behr's Primer Paint because I don't have to prime and it covers so well. I've used it in every room so far in this home and am totally hooked! I painted the whole thing black and then lightly dry-brushed white paint with a wide flat brush to get that glossy LP look.
I drew a circle for the center label and painted it gray. I then sketched in and painted the apple. I kept the Beatles album art open on my computer to reference.
I wanted the label to look "authentic", so I typed out the exact words from the label and tried to match the font. I printed them out to check size placement (as seen above). When I was happy with the size, my final printing was done in REVERSE so I could do an image transfer.
I brushed clear matte gel medium over the printed words and pressed onto the painted apple. I left them there to dry, while I painted the apple stem. After the gel medium dried, I wet the paper and rubbed it off with my hand. The paper fibers come off while the black text stays. It takes some patience, but the results are worth it.
If you look close, you can see a little of the gel around the lettering, but when it's up on the wall you don't even notice it!
And now onto the walls . . .
We left the base color of the walls a pale gray and put blue painters tape in a geometric pattern to make a fun design. After two coats of red paint, the end wall was complete (and we found some longer black curtains). The side walls remained gray and the opposite end wall was painted red to balance, but with no geometric patterns because it is too broke up with doors to notice . . . although I did add a bit of the pattern to the steps for fun!
The circular items on the walls are used drum heads from his set. When he changed them out, I couldn't just throw them away!